Monday, July 18, 2011

Everything depends on the weather

Before we left home for our overseas trip to Sweden, I checked the 10-day weather forecast for Ystad, my hometown. From what I remember, it looked as if it was going to be decent. Two years ago, when we last traveled to Sweden, the weather was great the entire time. We were away for a couple of weeks in the month of July and from then on, I decided to only book Sweden vacation in the month of July since the chance of scoring nice weather is at its highest. At least that is what I thought. We have been here for just about one week now. On Tuesday last week when we arrived, the weather was beautiful and I kind of expected that it would stay that way. Funny how quickly one forgets. I should know after growing up here that the weather changes dramatically from one day to the next. I'm not sure anyone here really studies the weather and if they do, I don't believe they really know what they are talking about. It is proven from one day to the next. The news report says that the weather will be nice the following day and most likely, they are wrong. I think out of six days here, two and-a-half or three have been nice. It is pretty taxing when you are counting on being able to spend time outside. Especially with small kids who go bonkers while inside for too long. Today, it was supposed to rain. It did. In the early hours of the day. Thereafter, it was sunny and beautiful so today was a great day. Some of the highlights so far;

Max and Finn meeting their cousins Sam (almost two) and Maj (eight weeks) for the first time.

Enjoying coffee mochas from Espresso House (although my Linda-mocha from Starbucks is better)

Eating LOTS of Swedish candy (which really is the best in the world)!

Scoring a kid's bike for Max on a site equivalent of Craigslist that he is having lots of fun with.

Drinking great Chardonnay at the patio of Store Thor (I just wish smoking wasn't allowed on the patios..)

Awesome fish/shellfish stew (for me, not Brent) for dinner at restaurant Marinan overlooking the beach while kids playing in the sand beside us.

Max swimming in the Baltic Sea in his wetsuit.

Walking all around my hometown which is so much smaller than it once seemed.

Eating amazing ice-cream, including licorice flavor - yum!

Spending a beautiful day in Malmo strolling around, drinking coffee, shopping.


When the weather is great, there is no better place. When it isn't...well, let's say that I can NEVER live where it rains a lot ever again in my life. I am certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment